- Vanilla Extract DIY Kit will make 1 cup of vanilla extract. It includes:
- 23 grams (0.8 oz) or 6-8 extract grade vanilla beans
- 8 oz glass bottle
- Recipe included
- Alcohol not included!
- The 4-Pack is packed in one box with one set of instructions. If you need instructions for each set, please purchase singles so we include what you need!
- Certified organic, fair trade, and non-GMO vanilla beans. This batch is straight from a small farm in Madagascar! Madagascar beans make a smooth and creamy extract with a sweet, buttery aroma. These are grade B extract-quality beans, which are smaller and have lower moisture and higher vanillin content.
Why not Grade A beans?
- Grade A beans, with their plump and shiny appearance have a higher moisture content. Chefs love them for cooking, as their flavor is more easily absorbed into a dish. However, due to the higher moisture content, they have less vanilla flavor per ounce. When we are making extract, we want the uglier, yet more flavorful Grade B beans.
- How do I make extract?
- It's easy! Remove beans from jar, slice in half the long way, to expose the vanilla seeds. Put back in jar and fill jar with alcohol, making sure to completely cover beans. Shake + wait!
- How many beans do I need?
- To make 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of single-fold vanilla extract, you will need 23 grams (0.8 oz) of vanilla beans; or 5-8 beans.
- To make 1 quart (32 fluid ounces) of single-fold vanilla extract, you will need 93 grams (3.3 oz) of vanilla beans; or 20-30 beans.
- What else do I need?
- Vodka or bourbon! If you're looking for a non-alcoholic option, you can use food-grade glycerin.
- Time! Bottle should sit 6-8 weeks; 6 months is better.
This eco-friendly brand is ready to spice up your kitchen storage!
Introducing Gneiss Spice
Gneiss Spice makes cooking fun and easy by eliminating kitchen clutter with their plastic-free magnetic spice jars. Sustainably designed and ethically sourced, these spice jars are designed to hang on your fridge so your spices will stay organized and always be within arm’s reach.
Values & Social Impact
Gneiss Spice prides itself on being a sustainable brand that reduces single-use plastics and kitchen waste. The brand is widely known for giving back to their community by paying employees a living wage and investing profits into fighting local food insecurity.
About the founder
Founder Beth Weisberger used to actively avoid the avalanche of spices that piled high in her cabinets until she decided to do something about it. Beth set out to design her own solution and created Gneiss Spice so everyone could transform their kitchen mess into a perfectly organized spice system.